And surprise surprise it was a winner, picking up a prize for the delicious cake as well as many requests for the recipe.
So with that in mind, here's the recipe.
Mandarin almond cake
250g caster sugar
250g almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
Icing sugar to serve
2. Boil for 1 hour until soft. (Make sure you check that there is water in the pot or else you'll end up with a burnt mess.) Drain and blitz into a puree and allow to cool.
4. Grease and line a 22cm spring form cake tin with baking paper
5. Use a mixer to beat eggs and caster sugar until well combined for 5 minutes. (It'll look frothy but makes for a light tasting cake)
6. Stir in the mandarin puree, almond meal and baking powder.
7. Pour batter into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour until top is golden.
8. Allow to cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar.
Serve warm, cold and even the next day if there is any slices left.